After being shut in for nearly three months, aren't you ready to start traveling again? If you're anything like me, you're eager to get back on the road! Maybe we can't travel as freely as we would like at the moment, but there are a few places you can go with your family for a quick weekend getaway!
Here are 5 road trip ideas, for that quick weekend getaway, whether you’re flying into a destination or driving off from your own driveway:
1. National Parks - Ask someone about a past road trip and there is a fairly good chance they will say it was to a National Park. The United States is blessed with some incredibly diverse National Parks in nearly every state, such as forests, deserts and caves. You can find a local hotel or pack some camping gear for a wilderness journey that will provide you with a look at what parts of our country looked like before urban growth.
2. Historical Sites - History buff? Plan your road trip around some historical sites that you want to learn more about. You can tour battlefields, monuments, and other sites. Learn how past events molded the community that surrounds the area by visiting the local historical societies along your journey.
3. Iconic Highways - Emerson said, “It’s not the destination, it’s the journey.” Pick an iconic highway to travel for your weekend getaway. Route 66, Pacific Coast Highway, NYC to the Catskill Mountains, all paint beautiful scenery. Take advantage of small towns and businesses along the way to get a true feel of the area.
4. Music and Arts - Museums, concerts or local festivals are a great excuse to hit the road. Summer, in particular, will provide you with a host of options for a weekend escape. Pick an event or venue, then explore the area around it for fun eats and treats. (Of course, if COVID-19 is still around, please exercise caution by wearing a mask, washing your hands often, and using hand sanitizer.)
5. Urban Explorer - Foodies and those looking for an active nightlife may consider a road trip to another city. Try out a comedy club, farmer’s market, or a local sporting event. Talk to your hotel concierge or bartender for some hot spots or local secrets.
Get out and enjoy yourself on a quick weekend road trip! There is a lot to see and do out there. When you’re ready to plan your next vacation, just contact me. I’ll be here for you.
Share the knowledge
Kimberly is the owner of Travel Kimestry. Her areas of expertise include The Bahamas, The Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico, Europe and ALL THINGS DISNEY. She’s passionate about working with families who enjoy traveling the world. She looks forward to working with YOU soon!